Language and Literacy; Expressive Arts; People, past events and societies; Social wellbeing Primary and Lower Secondary
These activities use Dorrith Sim’s testimony and her book ‘In my Pocket’ to develop language skills and cultural awareness.
Dorrith Sim- listen to her testimony- ‘Before the War’.
If available, read her book.
Look for any other testimonies describing coming to a new country.
Language Differences – Idioms, Body Language, Cultural nuances
1. When in Rome, do as the Romans.
2. No man is an island.
3. The early bird catches the worm.
4. Saying Hello – formal Bow (European); Handshake (British).
What else? Pupils should provide other examples from their cultures
Different cultures –
Meeting someone new; not English speaking
Activities for Drama; Cartoon Strips, Writing
1. Challenges facing a new pupil / refugee / asylum seeker / immigrant coming into school for the first day
- Differences in lifestyle
- Language challenges
- Differences between schools
- Correct behaviour
1. Pupils explain how to make a sandwich
2. How to go to the playground from their classroom.
3. Food – pupils explain what Haggis, tablet, shortbread is. They can share their knowledge of typical foods.
4. Acting a scene out: – First day at Nursery; Primary 1; new school; new town; new country.
Please note – We can put you in touch with German schools so that your pupils could become Pen Pals
If you are having difficulty with the downloads, please right-click and select save as on the download link.
We would be very grateful if you could Contact Us if you find any broken links.